Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Genetic Testing

Back in early November I had some genetic testing done. They wanted to see if I had Lynch syndrome which is an inherited condition that increases the risk for developing colon cancer and other types of cancers. Doctors estimate that about 3 out of every 100 colon cancers are caused by Lynch syndrome.
People who have Lynch syndrome have a significantly increased risk of developing colorectal cancer and an increased risk of developing other types of cancers such as, endometrial (uterine), stomach, breast, ovarian, small bowel (intestinal), pancreatic, urinary tract, liver, kidney, and bile duct cancers.
In addition, cancer is more likely to be diagnosed at a young age. The average age for colorectal cancer to be diagnosed in someone with Lynch syndrome is 45, as compared with the average age of 72 for a new diagnosis of colorectal cancer in the general population.

I recieved a phone call today with the results of the testing. They said everything looked normal. I do not have Lynch Syndrome or any mutated genes that would lead to cancer.

So there is no answer as to why I developed colon cancer at such a young age but I find it comforting to know that I don't have Lynch Syndrome and can't pass that on to my children...although they will need to start having colonoscopies at the age of 30.

1 comment:

  1. Pheww!! That's good for not having lynch. Still not good about having cancer so early :/
    love you!!

    ReplyDelete