Friday, April 6, 2012

Time for a CT Scan

Mom's sister came to visit for a week!
Her trip was pushed back because of the surprise trip to Hawaii.
She was really helpful around here.
She even made us goodies like cinnamon rolls and dinner rolls!
I am still kicking myself for not getting a picture of the two of them together.

Here's an update on Mom's health....
For the past week she has been feeling sick.
She caught pink eye.
She has had a sore throat that is so painful its hard to eat and even drink,
and her temperature has been climbing, nearing the ER visit number, the dreaded 101
She has also been coughing more lately.
A little hair has been falling out, but just thinning. No bald spots or big chunks or anything like that. Just thinning. It started while she was in Hawaii.

She went to the doctors yesterday and they gave her 2 prescriptions. Only one has been helpful with the pain. They didn't know for sure at first what was going on. A good friend of ours also had a mom go through chemo and thought it may be Thrush. Mom's tongue is also really white/grey. She doesn't have any sores in her mouth, which is what the doctors keep asking her. Her pain is really deep in her throat. Today the doctors confirmed she has a sinus infection.

She is just feeling yucky, which is not fun to watch. She had been feeling good for a while so the thought of cancer was practically out of my mind. Until now.

Today I took her in for a blood draw and the big,
long awaited CT scan.
The blood draw was through her port so I had to wear a mask when they poked her. It was soon over and then afterwards she had to drink a bottle of liquid that preps her for the scan over the span of an hour. We sat by the window in the waiting room enjoying the view of the water. (I just love Seattle!) We laughed and talked and hooray-ed at each milestone of the drink being gone with increments of time. There was a man that sat across from us and as he sat he said, "Wanna trade?!" He had TWO bottles of what looked like lemonade, but he went on to talk about how nasty the stuff was. My mom's was similar to tap water. Just goes to show you there is always someone worse off.
They called her in for the CT scan, which was about 3 minutes. Then I could sit with her for the 20 minutes they kept an eye on her in case of any reactions to the liquid she may have. They gave her a treat and a warm blanket. I was cold too so...

No reactions 20 minutes later and we were free to go!
(We won't have the results until Monday)
We stayed and ate lunch at their cafeteria since we were both starved.

She fell right asleep when we got home.
I'm so happy I spent the day with her. Just the two of us.
She makes me laugh,
what will I do when we move 3,000 miles away??

Hopefully she gets plenty of rest and feels better soon
so we don't have to go to the ER Easter weekend
and so she can get chemo on Monday.
Lots of prayers!

*After calling the nurse since her temp has gone up near 102,
because of the sinus infection awareness they said we are ok to take care of her at home.
Hopefully things look up and don't get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment